In the lithography workshop, students work with planographic techniques, stone and plate lithography as well as monotypes, printed with hand presses or our offset press.
Each term there are introductory courses that introduce students to the lithography workshop, safety measures and the technique. Normally, an advanced course is offered each term, exploring a specialisation in lithography, either technical or conceptual. Much of the teaching is done on an individual basis. Guest teachers and lecturers in the field are regularly invited to the workshops.
The workshop hosts a powerful ventilation system; chemicals are stored in lockable, aired cupboards. We try to avoid using volatile solvents; all cleaning materials and products are vegetable oil-based bio-solvent.
Stone lithography, zinc plate lithography, photo-plate lithography, offset lithography, monotype.
The workshop comprises comprehensive handbooks on historical and contemporary techniques. We work closely with the library staff to ensure the availability of research resources.
Patrick Wagner, Lecturer in Fine Art
- Two cast-iron hand presses, dated ca 1900: Steinmesse & Stollberg, stones up to 153x93cm; a motorised Karl Krause, stones up to 102x73cm.
- One cast-iron hand press of unknown origin, stones up to 104x68cm, motorised; one Steinmesse & Stollberg DUMO IV offset proofing press, dated ca 1960, max paper size 65x92cm.
- Graining area, Takach levigator, lithographic stone library, max stone size 66x87cm.
- Alfatech plate graining table, motorised, for lithographic plates and mylar up to 137x150cm.
- Leather and rubber rollers, mark-making equipment, required chemicals and materials. The workshop stocks Somerset Satin, Arches 88, BFK Rives and a variety of Japanese papers as well as offset papers.
- Light table, 123x150cm; 38 flat files, 110x129cm; 27 flat files, 78x102cm; two drying racks, 84x123cm; Epson Stylus Photo 1400; Kyocera FS 6950DN; Plustek Optic Slim; PC; 200kg forklift; 1,000kg forklift.
- Theimer MK 95 TSV Nova exposure unit for photolithography and photopolymer plates
- Solna plate puncher, TERNES & BURTON registration strips
- POLIMERO A3 plate maker
- light table, washout trays